Saturday, March 24, 2012

30 Day Meditation Challenge - Day 3

Day 3. Yesterday I found myself short-tempered at work. I caught myself indulging in feelings of overwhelm at one point, there. But compared to what that kind of feeling was like before I started meditation - especially the longer sits I have been doing recently - I was able to move through it and remember that my job is to show up and do what I can. When I got home I laid down with my partner and a kitty for a little while to rest and all was well in the world.

This morning I found myself in a guided (perhaps "visualized" is a more accurate word) meditation that I do sometimes. I'll describe it for you in case you are ever in the mood for that sort of thing...

Picture yourself walking in nature. Maybe it is on the beach. Maybe in the woods. Today, it was a grassy meadow. You can see and hear and feel and smell the scene around you. With every breath, you feel yourself letting go of more and more of the world behind you. The scene becomes more vivid.

Eventually, you find yourself at a stone staircase. Walk down it. Step by step watch and feel as you descend into a grotto full of water. It leads out into the ocean and the water level rises and falls with your breath. Noises and movements occurring in the world around you reflect in the water.

In the middle of the water floats a lotus flower with a flame. The water is the world, the flower is you, and the flame is your spirit. As the water reacts to the world the flower rises and falls like a buoy and the flame flickers or burns steady. As you breathe, feel the water carry your flower-body gently up and softly down. As distractions occur, notice the water reacting but find that the flame does not have to. Even if the water is choppy, your flame can still burn bright and steady.

Breathe and observe here for awhile...

When the chime rings, take a deeper breath. Feel yourself slowly being pulled backwards back into the room. When you are ready, gently open your eyes. I like to bow at this point but if that isn't comfortable for you, simply sitting for a moment is perfectly fine.

I began to use this meditation a few months ago and since, I have found that during the day I am more able to keep my flame burning steady - even when the water upon which I sit is turbulent. Today, I feel calm and ready to go into the world no matter what it holds for me. I hope you feel the same.

Please comment below or go to the Yoga with Rachel Facebook page to share your experiences with guided meditation - this one or of others you have tried.

Namasté

No comments:

Post a Comment